Monday, February 23, 2009

Cameah




Photography has been a hobby of mine since high school when I took a course in the developing and printing of black and white photos. One of the amazing things about the "digital age" is how quickly you can adjust photos. What used to take an hour or two in the darkroom can now be done in, literally, one or two minutes. I use iPhoto which, from what I understand, is an entry-level photo program. Yet, I am continually amazed at how easy it is to adjust photos and, in this case (I think) change a mediocre photo into a good one. Here are three versions of the same photo. The third (they uploaded in reverse order) is a high-resolution digital scan of a color print from a photo I took in Namibia in 1998. The second is the first adjustment I made, keeping the color. It took about 60 seconds. The first is the second adjustment I made, changing the original from color to black and white and changing the exposure and contrast levels. This took less than 60 seconds. The second one is my favorite. The photo is of Cameah, one of my favorite students from Engela, where I taught during my first year in the Peace Corps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like the first one because the focus is on her and that great stare, but the third just pops with color and is nice as well!